Through the collaboration of a diverse array of concerned people and organizations, the Arts Empowered Minds Initiative (AEMI) will increase access to high-quality, arts-integrated learning opportunities by both creating new programs and leveraging existing resources to increase their impact. AEMI is focused on putting into place three essential elements in Northern Anne Arundel County public schools:
Sustainable partnerships with teaching artists and arts organizations that inspire children and use the creative process to make meaningful, real-world connections to the curriculum
- Artists-in-residence who provide both programming for students and professional development for teachers. Artists will visit each school 21 days throughout the school year.
- The Teaching Artist Institute will train ten local artists in the use of arts-integration. Artists will partner with teachers to implement programming in schools, building relationships between artists and teachers and building the capacity of artists to impact student achievement.
Increased access to out-of-school time arts programs
- After-school clubs in each school that utilize arts-integration
- Family Nights at the new Maker Space at the Chesapeake Arts Center
Professional development for teachers in arts integration to boost student engagement
- 21st Century Institute: A five-day summer institute that provides professional development in arts-integration
- Two half-day professional development sessions offered by the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County
Understand current baseline of school access to the arts and performance measures.
Build community around this initiative and encourage school participation.
Increase arts and arts integration resources and programming.
Priorities are driven by and aligned with the concerns of local community members
Community-based partnerships help us to ensure that the work of AEMI is accountable to and aligned with the initiatives of the community it serves. AEMI’s priorities – to improve school achievement, parent involvement, and student engagement and empathy – arose from conversations and meetings held with community members.
Collective goals are aligned with the needs of the school district
The collaboration of Anne Arundel County Public Schools ensures that the work of AEMI aligns with the district’s priorities, including increasing student achievement, increasing empathy and decreasing violence, and increasing the use of arts-integration throughout the district.
ARTS EMPOWERED MINDS
Ensuring equitable access to the arts in Northern Anne Arundel County Schools.
410.837.7577 | firstname.lastname@example.org